Skip to main content

AG Withdraws Key Evidence in Buffer Stock Trial; Court Orders EOCO to Respond to Serious Concerns of accused persons

 

 

In a very interesting and surprising development in the ongoing trial of Republic v. Abdul Hanan-Wahab and 4 Others, the Attorney-General has decided not to rely on some important evidence earlier presented to the court. In court yesterday, the AG’ Office announced that they would no longer rely on documents contained in 2 boxes presented to the court, and referred to in paragraph 38 of the witness statement of Julius Nudawu, a Staff Officer at the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO).

 

As a result, the two boxes of documents containing supposed evidence of supplies authenticated by the Ministry of Education and allegedly paid by the Ministry in favour of NAFCO have been taken out. Those boxes of evidence had earlier been provided to the court and the accused persons as documents to be relied upon by the Prosecution in proof of the offences. According to the A-G, they will no longer be used as evidence in the trial.

 

The development followed a series of objections by counsel for the 1st accused person, the former CEO of NAFCO, the Former Attorney-General, Hon. Godfred Dame, and counsel for the wnd accused person, Augustine Obour, to the documents. The objections centred on the lack of clarity of the documents and failure by the Prosecution to show how they are connected to the alleged irregular payments made by the former CEO of NAFCO.

 

The withdrawal by the Prosecution of the entire court, including counsel for the accused persons as the withdrawn evidence seemed to be the basis for charges against the accused persons.

 

GRAFFITI MARKINGS BY EOCO ON HANAN’S PROPERTY

 

Counsel for 1st accused, Godfred Yeboah Dame also challenged the basis of graffiti markings allegedly made by EOCO officers at his client’s residence on 8th April, 2026, without a court order. He argued that this act violated the rights of the accused persons to live in dignity and their presumption of innocence under the Constitution.

 

EOCO officers who were present in court admitted that an incident like that seemed to have happened but said they were not directly involved and did not know the full circumstances.

 

The court ordered the Assets and Surveillance Department of EOCO to appear in court at the next adjourned date to answer to the allegations by the counsel for the accused.

 

OBJECTION TO EOCO OFFICER PROSECUTING CASE WITH A-G.

 

Another objection was raised about the presence of an Assistant Staff Officer from EOCO in court, who was announced as appearing with the Attorney-General’s legal team. Hon. Dame argued that, under the Law Officers Act of 1974, the officer is not part of the Attorney-General’s Department and therefore could not represent the State in the case.

 

The court ordered the Attorney-General to produce evidence of due authorisation of the EOCO staff to prosecute together with the A-G, and postponed its decision on this issue to the next hearing date.

 

RETURN OF SEIZED ELECTRICAL GADGETS

Lawyer for Faiza Seidu Wuni (2nd accused), Augustine Obuor also complained about the seizure of electronic devices, including an iPhone 14 Pro Max, Tecno smartphones, and laptops belonging to his client, the 2nd accused’s children. He argued that since the prosecution has already completed case management without indicating that these items would be used as evidence, they should be returned.

Hon. Godfred Dame supported this request and added that phones belonging to his client and his client’s driver were also taken.

In response, the AG’s Office said it was not in a position to fully address the issues raised.

The court again directed EOCO officials to appear at the next hearing to respond to the concerns about the graffiti and the seized devices.

The case has been adjourned to April 29, 2026, at 12:00 PM, when EOCO officials are expected to explain their actions, and the court is likely to rule on the objections raised.

IMG_7251
Ambassador Kojo Bonsu urges Ghanaian businesses to exhibit at Canton Fair to boost industrial exports
Ghana’s Ambassador to China, His Excellency Kojo Bonsu, has called on Ghanaian businesses to secure...
vice-bio
WE ARE NO LONGER HEALING, WE ARE PREPARING TO GOVERN": BAWUMIA FIRES UP NPP MINORITY AHEAD OF PARLIAMENT
New Patriotic Party Flagbearer, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, has issued a clear and forceful signal to his party’s...
477238755_1166482164838880_2992685021429484982_n
BAWUMIA TO NPP MPs: "WE ARE A GOVERNMENT-IN-WAITING"
NPP Flagbearer Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has declared that the New Patriotic Party’s posture going into...
IMG_1811
85% OF GHANAIANS DISAPPOINTED IN GOV’T OVER LGBTQ+ POSITION
A new national survey has sent shockwaves through Ghana’s political space, revealing that a massive 85...
556fb61d-ce3c-48ca-91fb-5558d4670b81
Obedemma Construction Delivers 6 Unit Classroom Block at Nsawam Prisons School in Record Time
In what has been widely described as a model of efficiency and quality workmanship, Obedemma Construction...
32a5b25d-9d3d-4be7-b39f-816096a01a95
Dr. Bawumia Expresses Sympathy After Accra Newtown Building Collapse
  Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, the NPP 2028 Flagbearer, has expressed deep sorrow over the tragic building...
vice-bio
Bawumia outlines six policy priorities to position Africa as global AI leader
Former Vice President of Ghana and 2028 flagbearer of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Mahamudu Bawumia,...
477238755_1166482164838880_2992685021429484982_n
AI will reshape jobs but offers opportunity if managed well – Bawumia
Former Vice President of Ghana and NPP flagbearer for 2028, Mahamudu Bawumia, has highlighted both the...
vice-bio
Bawumia Calls for Cross-Border Cooperation to Unlock Africa’s AI Potential
Former Vice President and NPP 2028 flagbearer, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has called for stronger cross-border...
WhatsApp Image 2026-02-03 at 06.41
Minority MPs Show Love To Bawumia After Landslide Victory
The Minority Caucus in Parliament has rallied strongly behind former Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

PAGA Petitions OSP, Parliament Over US Court Evidence of Alleged MP Payments

The People’s Alliance for Governance and Accountability (PAGA) has petitioned the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) and Parliament to investigate evidence from a concluded United States criminal prosecution suggesting that payments were made to some Ghanaian Members of Parliament in connection with the AKSA Emergency Power Agreement. PAGA is calling on the OSP to publicly clarify whether it is investigating the Ghanaian aspect of the alleged bribery and disclose the current status of any such investigation. The group has also urged the OSP to respond to its Right to Information (RTI) request and release relevant reports, information and documents shared with US authorities in relation to the case. PAGA further appealed to the Attorney-General, the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO), the Financial Intelligence Centre and other relevant state institutions to obtain and preserve the complete evidentiary record from the US proceedings. According to the group, this should include financial records, emails, exhibits, recordings and testimonies that could help establish the circumstances surrounding the alleged payments. “Every Ghanaian beneficiary, facilitator or public official identified in the evidence must be investigated without fear or favour,” PAGA stated. The pressure group also called for individuals named in the US proceedings, including former Power Minister Dr. Kwabena Donkor, to account for their alleged roles and any payments, gifts, travel arrangements or other benefits they may have received. PAGA said where the evidence supports further action, appropriate administrative measures, including interdiction, should be considered while investigations are ongoing. The group stressed the importance of international cooperation, urging the Attorney-General to ensure that evidence obtained from the United States is properly secured and promptly submitted to the relevant Ghanaian investigative authorities. PAGA maintains that a thorough and transparent investigation is necessary to determine whether any Ghanaian public officials benefited improperly from the AKSA power agreement and to protect the integrity of Ghana’s public institutions. Spread the love

Spread the love
Read More »

AKSA Scandal:Calls mount for speaker to set up Bipartisan Commitee

Pressure is mounting on the Speaker of Parliament to establish a bipartisan Ad Hoc Committee to investigate the approval and ratification of the AKSA Emergency Power Agreement, amid allegations that Members of Parliament received payments connected to the deal. The People’s Alliance for Governance and Accountability (PAGA) made the demand in a press statement responding to revelations from a concluded United States criminal prosecution in which evidence of payments to Ghanaian MPs was accepted. PAGA wants the committee to determine whether the integrity of Parliament’s ratification process was compromised when the agreement was reviewed and approved in 2015 by the Mines and Energy Committee, on which 18 MPs served. “The Speaker must establish a bipartisan Ad Hoc Committee to investigate the approval and ratification of the AKSA power agreement, including allegations that Members of Parliament received payments or other benefits,” the statement demanded. The group emphasized that the inquiry must cut across party lines. “This must not be a partisan inquiry,” it said, adding that the public deserves to know what information was put before Parliament at the time, who participated in the approval process, and whether any person used his or her public office to influence the approval. PAGA also called for the committee’s proceedings to be televised live, so that Ghanaians can follow the inquiry in full view. Spread the love

Spread the love
Read More »